Monday, July 29, 2013

Existential Angst

Ember has somehow cottoned onto the idea of playing the 'sympathy card', and when she is trying to distract or delay me, she will often say "Well, Mummy, I'm just a bit sad, because..." and will then quickly make up a reason for her 'sadness'.  Usually this is when I want to brush her hair, or put her to bed, or get her into the bath, or out of the bath or dressed (I know, such a mean mother).

On Sunday, we were driving home from the library in the latish afternoon, when Em pipes up:

Em: Mummy, I'm just a bit sad.
Me: Why are you sad sweetheart?
Em: Because the days are too short.
Me: What do you mean?
Em: Well, I get up and I play for a bit, and then we go somewhere and come home and then it's dinner and nearly time for bed again. The day is too short!  I just wish I didn't have to sleep.
Me: You wouldn't have much energy for playing if you didn't sleep.
Em: Well I just wish I didn't.

It's so hard being nearly five and so short of time for play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, I've had to add word verification to comments due to the large number of spam comments I've been receiving. Let me know if it's too annoying and I'll change to using comment moderation instead.