Saturday, March 17, 2012

If karma doesn't get you, the spiders will...

We are taking Hannah to Waitomo Caves tomorrow, and although I had told Ember we were going to see the glow worms, I don't think I had mentioned the caves themselves.  Tonight, while I was trying to encourage her to go to sleep, we had the following conversation:

Me: Come on Em, you need to go to sleep; we're getting up early tomorrow to go to the caves.
Em: (gasps) Caves?  Will there be bears in there?
Me: No, no bears.  Just glow worms.
Em: Will there be spiders?
Me: There will be spiders, but we probably won't see them.
Em: And they will hurt us?
Me: No, they won't hurt us. You probably won't even see them.
Em: They will hide from us?
Me: Yes.
Em: They will be hiding in the little birthday cave?
Me: Ummmm... yes (why not?!)
Em: And we can't go in that little birthday cave?
Me: No.
Em: Because the spiders will hurt us and kill us if we go in there?
Me: No, spiders don't usually hurt people at all.
Em: Just naughty people? Spiders don't hurt good girls, just naughty people?
Me: Uh, sure.
Em: Jake is a naughty people.
Me: Is he?*
Em: Yes, he is. The spiders are going to hurt him soon.
Me: I don't think they will.
Em: Yes, they will.  The spiders will hurt Jake. But not me. I'm a good girl.

Hmmm, somewhat debatable at times I feel!

*Jake (name changed!!) is a very cute but somewhat mischievous boy from creche.  We hear lots of stories about how naughty Jake is, but Ember also seems to enjoy playing with him. I think he'll go a long way, because his grin is too cute to stay cross with him for long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, I've had to add word verification to comments due to the large number of spam comments I've been receiving. Let me know if it's too annoying and I'll change to using comment moderation instead.