Sunday, January 6, 2013

The pub. Again.

It was a scorcher of a day in Raglan today, and a bustling wee town it was too, being the last day of the holidays for many.  (I've already been back at work for two days, so no sympathy!)  Ember is playing lots of imaginative games with her My Little Ponies and other little toys and accessories at the moment, which is great, but as a consequence she's turned into a bit of a homebody and it can be a mammoth effort trying to get her out of the house.

Today I was determined to get to the beach, as work starts in earnest tomorrow, so we lured Ember out of the house at 2.30 with a promise of an icecream.  Said icecream purchased, I suggested:

Me: Shall we go over the footbridge to the beach?
Em: No!  I want to go home.
Si: We can go to the playground too.
Em: No!  I don't want to!
Me: Come on Ember, it's my last day to get to the beach before I have to go back to work for the week, I want to spend some time enjoying the sunshine.
Em: I don't want to.
Me: What do you want to do?
Em: Well, you'll probably just think this is funny.
Me: Tell me.
Em: No, you'll laugh at me, so I'm not going to tell you.
Me: I won't laugh, I promise.  And if you don't tell me what you want to do, we won't be able to do it, will we?
Em: OK, but don't laugh at me.
Me: I won't.
Em: I want to go to the pub.

I managed not to laugh, and we duly went to Ember's second-favourite pub, the Harbour View, for a beer (Si), soda (me) and pink lemonade (Ember).  Meanwhile, Ember finished her icecream to the last crumb and then pronounced "I really didn't like that."

We did, eventually, get her over to the beach and then she didn't want to leave.  I think I might have to change her name to Mary - she really is quite contrary. !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, I've had to add word verification to comments due to the large number of spam comments I've been receiving. Let me know if it's too annoying and I'll change to using comment moderation instead.