Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ember's koan solution


We were driving home from a play date through Cornwall Park when Ember saw some kids playing in a tree.

Em: Look they playing on the tree!  I can play on the tree because I'm a big girl.  And if the tree falls down it goes CRASH like that.
Me: If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Em: Yes, it does.
Me: If no one hears it, how do you know?
Em: My Bali is there in the forest.  She's going to the swimming pool. She's going to swim in the forest to swim at the swimming pool.
Me: But what if Bali's not there either?  If there's no one at all in the forest, and a tree falls down, does it make a noise?
Em: Ummm... maybe I have to run really fast. And I does, and then my dinosaur comes and I ride on his back.
Me: Really?
Em: Yes, he's a nice dinosaur and he says 'ride on my back' and he doesn't eat me.  He's a talking dinosaur.
Me: It's not a scary dinosaur then?
Em: Nope, he's a nice dinosaur and he goes to Dinosaur Rick's.
Me: Dinosaur Rick's?
Em: Yes, Dinosaur Rick's. He's the big green dinosaur, in the book.
Me: Oh, you mean Tyrannosaurus Rex?
Em: Yes, and he's a nice dinosaur and I ride on his back.
Me: I thought Tyrannosaurus Rex was a scary dinosaur.
Em: Nope.
Me: He's got big teeth and he eats people.
Em: Nope, he doesn't.  He doesn't bite me. He doesn't eat girls or mummies.  Just boys.  But not Aidan Slades, just Aiden Walterses.
Me: Here's another one for you then.  What's the sound of one hand clapping?
Em: No, I'm not saying that one.

'Bali' is Ember's sometime invisible friend.  I have an awful suspicion that it's actually Barbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, I've had to add word verification to comments due to the large number of spam comments I've been receiving. Let me know if it's too annoying and I'll change to using comment moderation instead.