Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Knock knock!

I've recently been attempting to teach Ember the concept of knock knock jokes.  We've just about got it down, as long as I start, and don't deviate from the old favourites.  Ones I am allowed to tell include:
Me: Knock knock
Em: Who's there?
Me: Boo
Em: Boo who?
Me: Don't cry, it's only a joke!
(cue much laughter and general hilarity)

We also do 'Doctor' 'Doctor who?' 'If you already knew, why did you ask?' and 'lettuce', 'lettuce who?' 'lettuce out, it's cold in here!' and occasionally the old classic 'little old lady' 'little old lady who?' 'I didn't know you could yodel!'

However, we get into trouble when Em tries to start.  It usually goes like this:
Em: Knock knock,
Me: Who's there?
Em: Who's there?
Me: No, I said 'who's there!'
Em: No, I said 'who's there!'
Me: No, you tell me who's there!
Em: Who's there?
Me: Say 'boo'
Em: Boo
Me: Boo who?
Em: Boo who?
Me: No, I'm asking 'boo who?'!
Em: Boo who?
etc etc

She has made up some of her own knock knock jokes as well.  They took a bit of getting out (see example above) but for clarity I'll relate them in abridged format!

Ember's Knock Knock Joke One
Em: Knock knock
Me: Who's there?
Em: Nana
Me: Nana who?
Em: Nana Jay!

But for true comedy genius...

Ember's Knock Knock Joke Two
Em: Knock knock
Me: Who's there?
Em: Daddy
Me: Daddy who?
Em: Daddy farties!

My favourite one to date though, was this:

Ember's Knock Knock Joke Three
Em: Knock knock
Me: Who's there?
Em: Ember
Me: Ember who?
Em: No, it's just me, Ember.  See Mama, I'm Ember.

Grandad Pat would have been proud!

3 comments:

  1. She must think you're mad - when you seemingly forget your own daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. She's going to be another Boyer joke teller! I just can't believe it's hereditary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah, it's not hereditary. You just have to work hard at it while they're young. You'll be pleased to know I'm putting in the effort on Dad's behalf :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, I've had to add word verification to comments due to the large number of spam comments I've been receiving. Let me know if it's too annoying and I'll change to using comment moderation instead.